Friday, January 14, 2005

Ironic, don'cha think?

"What we don’t seem to realize is that ritual thoroughly personalized is no longer religion or art. It is fetish. And unlike religion and art, which encourage us to transcend our own experience, fetish urges us to return obsessively to the sounds and images of an arrested stage of development."

--Christine Rosen, "The Age of Egocasting," The New Atlantis, Number 7, Fall 2004/Winter 2005, pp. 51-72.

Read the whole article (if you can, you puny TiVo worshipping, iPod hugging ADHD cretins!) and let me know what you think. Those of us who are children of the 80's will probably remember "THEM" telling us how dangerous MTV was to our horribly maladjusted adolescent brains and how we were all going to end up homeless and unable to concentrate well enough to fill out an unemployment form. Oh yeah, and remember the hordes of crack babies that were supposed to flood our schools?

That being said, I agree that devices such as TiVo, iPods, and remote controls have made us much more demanding consumers. We want what we want, and we want it when we want it! Does that mean we're more intolerant of other's needs / wants or that we're more impatient? Maybe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah Gerber said...

I, for one, am delighted to be told any religious observance I may do daily and as ritualized behavior is pure fetishism.
This information charms me and will allow me even greater pleasure when obsessivly washing my hands with a certain rabbinically approved two handled washing implement, filling with the right hand, transferring the full container to the left, pouring three times on each hand, starting with right while muttering incomprehensible nonsense.
Fetishism I am familiar with, religiousity seems queer and silly.
I think I can move foreward with more Jewish observances in the future if only I will keep this information as a frontlet for my eyes. And to think I was using the guise of 'charming ancient superstition' as a motivator! Who knew?!?!

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home