Thursday, June 09, 2005

Oh, the fucking irony!

I remember the first time I surfed the net - oh those many moons ago - on an Apple with a 14.4 kbps modem. Unlike my sullen and silent DSL connection, that modem hummed and clicked and made little rubber-band tweaking noises that let me know that it was really WORKING, dammit!

What I remember thinking that first time was, "Jeez, what's with all the ads?" I felt bombarded by flashing, poorly-designed graphical ads that left me with a headache and a desire to crawl back into my cave and communicate via smoke-signals to my neo-Luddite pals. I was so naive back then.

Now I barely even register the ads that infest commercial websites. (I use Firefox as my browser so that helps, too. Using Firefox also has the added benefit of making me feel all geeked-up and cool in a wannabe-techie kind of way - but I digress...) There are times, however, when a website ad catches my eye. Sometimes I'm attracted by the ad's design, sometimes by its flashy graphics, and sometimes by its text.

I have to say that Google has some of the more ironic - and head-scratching - ads I have ever seen. I love their little in-text ads that purportedly pertain to the content of the site. I know they have their dirty little crawlers picking through websites (and now e-mail) searching for key words and phrases much like a mama gorilla picking through her offspring's hair for bugs. I'm sure there's some technical marketing term for what they do, I just don't care enough to look it up - besides I'm pretty happy with the image of them as flea-picking apes.

Every time I go to the Blogger log-in page I am reminded that I could make money with my blog - if only I would allow them to infest my little piece of cyber-heaven with their insidious little ads. For the $0.05 a week that advertising revenue might generate, however, I'm never tempted to take them up on their offer.

So I blame Google for the infestation of tiny text ads that "sponsor" parts of websites. The ad on this page, I think, sums up everything that is wrong with advertising. (If you need a log-in use bugmenot.com) Look closely at the small box to the right of the picture.

The NY Times story on the unwritten policy of gang-rape in the Sudan is sponsored by Kinsey.

Define irony.

1 Comments:

Blogger CCF said...

I'm so proud you used a bug me not reference. You aren't just a wanna-be geek dear.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home