Monday, November 14, 2005

Memory

I remember a time when I wasn't worried about the color and consistency of anyone else's snot. I remember a time when I didn't know there were at least 5 different brands of diapers but only one brand that would be able to contain the aftermath of a dinner of grapes, mangoes, and pizza. I remember being able to sleep soundly until 10 or 11 am.

I remember a life that seems so long ago now but in reality was mine until 3 years ago. Looking back I don't know how I spent all of the hours of the day. Did I waste them in decadently selfish pursuits such as reading (for pleasure - not for class)? Figuring out that chili-cheese fries - no matter how compelling - are never the answer after a night of drinking cheap beer? Or traveling through Eastern Europe by train leaving Prague at night in a dense fog that seemed right out of a film noir?

Now, I find my days and nights filled with worry over green snot, the availability of said super-diapers at my local grocery store, and my inability to sleep past 5:30 am. I am a mom, mama, mommy, nose-wiper, diaper-changer, ear-wax cleaner, Cat In the Hat-reader, label-checker, bottle-washer (turned sippy-cup-washer), and cartoon-critic-extraordinaire - and so much more.

What will the next few years bring as I become less and less of a caregiver and more of a role model (gasp!)? As this tiny person I helped create takes on more responsibility for his daily maintenance?

4 Comments:

Blogger Hannah Gerber said...

You know how much I appreciate your saying everything I feel everyday!
Not much I can add to this, except can I put it on My blog for MY post today?

3:24 PM  
Blogger The Cybrarian said...

You'll have more time for books, cheap beer and self-actualization! And wait until you can take him with you to Prague and make him go get you a beer!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Hannah Gerber said...

I bet 'beer-runner' sounds promising to you about right now eh? Eh?
Seeing a bit o' light at the end of your personal whiney tunnel, yes? Yes?

I've already got mine running books to me while Im on the toilet and picking up daddy's discarded, stinky socks.

6:20 PM  
Blogger CCF said...

Why in the name of heaven and hell would we take him to Prague with us? All increased slef-maintenance means is it is easier and more palatable to leave with with the GP's while we get the flock out of Dodge.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home