Friday, January 20, 2006

How to know you've been in school too long

Nothing makes you feel older than walking into a graduate class, looking around, and thinking, "MY GOD! I'm the oldest person in the room -- and I'm not even the teacher!"

That's what happened last week when classes resumed for the spring semester. I walked my happy ass into class, took a look at all the angst-ridden, iPod-wearing, pierced, shaggy-haired students, and turned right around. I thought I must have been in the wrong room. Surely these "children" were mere undergrads, right?

Unfortunately, a quick look through the class schedule told me otherwise. That had been the right room. Those were my peers. And I was going to be late to class. Fuck.

Now they'll know me as the crazy old lady who was so disoriented she didn't realize she was in the right classroom. Getting old sucks ass.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hannah Gerber said...

Since you just shagged 15 years off yourself with your loving cosmetic ministrations I would beg to differ the thought that you stand out as looking older amongst your 'peers'.
You look like (though not overly-hip, pierced or shaggy)one of them now.....of course I know your an old poop. But I'm not telling.
Love you.

11:39 AM  
Blogger moosk said...

what's sad is that even at 28, i feel that way in a classroom of 23- and 24-year olds... they were born in the 1980s for heaven's sake... fortunately, so far, my profs have been a good 10+ years my senior.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home